Question Main Application menu plus security

StefanUytterhoeven

Programming Experience
Beginner
(I'm new to pc development, developed before on IBM ISeries)
Basicly what I want to achieve.
I want to create an application with...
One main menu, that asks for login (if not logged in)
from that main menu start other (sub)application (without the need to re-login)

simple example. Let's say, i want to create an application for supplier and customer info keeping.
In the "main menu" I would have the option to start an "application" to update zipodes, to update customer addresses, to update supplier addresses, to update cusomer info (other that address info..., whatever), update customer info, and so on....
These options can be in menu like structure on the main form, or buttons, or...
Based on the login info, some menu options are not displayed (and can not be started)

I can create a main vb program,(with a login form) from where I can start other vb programs (exe's) by using the process.run statement (found that somewhere on the net)
Problem will be, that when I start the main program, I log in, and when the other vb program is executed by process.run, it will ask again for a login again.
If I leave out the login in the called program from the menu, the program could be started directly with no problem and no security (i don't want that)

So, what should I do? Is a solution maybe to create dll's of the 'called programs?

From the sounds of it the apps that your app calls have a login system of their own and you want to have the user(s) login once in your app then your app circumvents the app's it calls to bypass the login?

Unless these apps that your app calls allow you to pass a UserName and Password to it already (like on the command line) then I would have to say this is a shady topic because we don't condone circumvention of other app's here.

Back