Question looking for ideas/solutions

mreed

Programming Experience
Beginner
First off, let me say Hi. I'm new to this forum and I would like to thank you in advance for any suggestions or comments.

Here is what I'm looking for:

I have created a Payroll Management application in vbexpress2008. It is my very first vb project and I've spent a lot of time and effort on it. It's not perfect, but it works. It connects to an access (2003).mdb database. The problem I had in designing this database was that multiple users needed to access the data.

So what I did was place the database on a server and the local users hard drive. did work and make changes to the local copy, have the program check the attributes of both files and display them to the user and have the user select whether they want to update the local or remote copies.

:confused:This works great when their were only 2 users...

Now I have another issue, I need to have this program distributed to 9 other people, so now I've got 11 users and the possibility of 2 or more of them trying to update the database at the same time just compounded on me.

sharepoint server was suggested (but I'm not familiar with programming with sharepoint, plus it's out of our cost range)

I'm looking for ideas/suggestions on how I can overcome this problem.

All of the users have access to the server and my first thought was to create a separate database for each user and then somehow, merge that into 1 database that is accessed by the first 2 people (the big shots)

What about SQL Server?

Essentially, just take the tables you have now and recreate them in SQL Server. That should require no coding changes with respect to your existing queries. The only change in your program that you would need to make is the connection string.

If you have no budget at all, then take a look at SQL Server Express.

From what I understand, SQL Server express only allows 5 users? does that have to be installed on each computer that the program is on? or can I just install the sql server express on the server machine and have it accessed by all the different copies of the program?

I'm not very fluent in SQL

From what I understand, SQL Server express only allows 5 users?
No. Number of users unlimited, but db-size <=4gb and it will use memory only 1 gb.
...or can I just install the sql server express on the server machine and have it accessed by all the different copies of the program?
Yes. Don't forget to start SQLBrowser service and enable tcp

Back