Is Visual Studio the correct IDE to use for this project?

ultramel123

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi All

I have a project I need to do for work, and I would just like to know whether VB would be the right way to go?

I need to create quite a simple program in which our equipment can be booked out to various clients, and then a popup reminder comes up if the equipment is not returned in time? and possibly an email gets sent to varous Managers if the equipment is still not returned within a few days.

Can I do this in VB? I have experience in MsAccess, and also a little of VBA. Could I do this in Visual Studio Express using VB, and then perhaps a backend Access or sQL database?

If so, would the only necessary download be VStudio Express, along with the various SQL components which install along with it?

I figure that once I have the correct software installed, then I can move forward with the "planning" and programming of the solution

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

thank you so much

VB Express would be an ideal tool for creating an application like that. If there's no impediment to installing the server, I'd recommend SQL Server Express over Access for the backend. Given that you can interact with the database through the VB IDE, it actually turns out to be easier than using Access.

VB Express would be an ideal tool for creating an application like that. If there's no impediment to installing the server, I'd recommend SQL Server Express over Access for the backend. Given that you can interact with the database through the VB IDE, it actually turns out to be easier than using Access.

Thank you kindly for your reply. Is the download for SQL Server Express included in the VB Express download? and is it a free download?

Hi,

Yes is the simple answer to your question in all respects that you have commented on.

The caveat however is the learning phase. I made the migration from MS Access, VBA and VB6 to VB.NET in VS2010 nearly 3 years ago and I would have to say it's quite a leap in both technology and functionality. The .NET framework is huge to say the least but you have a good solid foundation in MS Access and VBA to make the leap since many of the functions and methods that you used in VBA still exist is VS2010 in one form or another.

In all honesty, while I was making my own migration, I sometimes felt like I wish I had never started but we all feel like that sometimes. As of today however it was the best move I ever made and would never go back to MS Access and VBA now. VB.NET in VS2010 is far superior.

My only other comment would be on reporting. The one thing I loved in Access was the reporting, being easy to use and yet very powerful when you needed it to be. I am not a fan of the VS2010 reporting components (they are a bit weak in my personal opinion) but VS comes with a free Crystal Reports plug in that can be downloaded and used in your programs. Crystal Reports, I have found are just as good if not better then Access reports but again there is a learning phase.

I am NOT saying that it is going to take you three years to get up and running since you will be up and running in no time but there is a lot of new stuff to get to grips with. Fortunately, there are forums like this one that are also here to help and you will find that this forum is pretty active.

All in all I would say "Go For It!" from one who has gone through the experience in the past few years.

Good luck,

Ian

Note:- With regards to the downloads, Yes, just download VS and SQL, install and away you go. Be aware that the VS2012 and SQL Server Express 2012 have both been released recently so you may want to get these latest versions.

In addition, I am not sure if Crystal Reports comes with the express edition. You may just want to check that one first.

Thank you for all the info Ian. It is extremely helpful, and also quite motivating :)
I have seen compatibility on the 2012 Express editions require Windows 7, and unfortunately I am running Vista at the office, so would need to then use 2010?

Can anyone perhaps tell me what the full download size of VB Studio is along with SQL server? I have gone to the download page, but the exe file does not show the size of the download?

As I am unfarmiliar with VB.net environment, I was thinking of perhaps going forward to start off by using Access as the backend until I familiarize myself with the IDE, and then perhaps do it over using SQL? I have had a look at some of the SQL articles, and it seems extremely different to Access

Hi,

You would be fine using VS2010, I am using 2010 today and it's great. You can download it from here:-

Download | Microsoft Visual Studio 2012
This uses a download manager but I think the actual VS download is about 600MB.

The SQL Server download is a separate entity which can be downloaded from here:-

Download: Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 SP1 - Express Edition - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details
Then you want the file SQLEXPRWT_x86_ENU.exe (32 Bit with SQL Server Management Studio 308MB)

SQL can seem a bit different at first, but you soon get the hang of it so I would not worry too much about that. Using your cautious approach to begin with is always a good idea but when you get down to your programming in VS you will find that assessing your data is the same no matter whether you are using Access or SQL Server.

Cheers,

Ian

I have never liked to use Access as a database... but to each their own. In my .NET projects if I need a local database I use SQLite. Mainly because I don't have to rely on Office installed on the machine to get things to work. There is a nice .NET library for SQLite.

Back