Is there any difference between sqlexpress and sql server ?

karan khokhar

Programming Experience
Beginner
Im new to SQLEXPRESS and vb.net .Ive written an application in VB.net and used sqlconnection string (with SQLEXPRESS installed on my pc) to connect to a local database and my application runs flawlessly ..but when i try to run the .exe file on another computer which has SQLSERVER installed the application stops responding .Is it because of a SQLEXPRESS and SQLSERVER issue?

this is my connection string
SQLConnectionString = "Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename='" & a & "';Initial Catalog='" & f & "';Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True"

The instance on the machine running SQL Server isn't going to be called SQLEXPRESS? I'd make the assumption you can use Data Source=. or Data Source=localhost and you'll be just fine.

i uninstalled sql express on my pc and installed sql server 2005

Changed it to :
SQLConnectionString = "Data Source=localhost;AttachDbFilename='" & a & "';Initial Catalog='" & f & "';Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True"
Now i get an error:
The user instance login flag is not supported on this version of SQL Server. The connection will be closed.

So your user (windows user) is not allowed to log in to the SQL server? Thats a sqlserver permissions issue..

Back