Import dbf files

LilSaint

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hello, I'm a beginner in vb .net, and I have a problem that is really bugging me. I have to develop a program for my company that enables the users to import a dbase file into an access database. I have searched in various forums and code sites, but I couldn't find anything that helps me. You might wonder, why the hell the complication? Well, because my company uses various software programs that exports the database only in the dbf file format. So can anyone help me on this? :confused:

You should probably do the entire application in Access.

You can link dbf files directly and they will be "tables" to access.

Go to tables and right click in the window. Select "Link Tables". In the "files of type" drop down list, you can select dbase III, dbase IV, or dbase V. Browse to the dbf file and click the "Link" button. This will now give you a table view of the actual dbase file. You can update, insert, delete, or write code against it.

That's just to get you started. I'm sure you need to do way more than that. Maybe you have to write code to import the dbf file and have the user point to the location of the file himself, etc... Access can accomodate that.

RTaulbee said:
You should probably do the entire application in Access.

You can link dbf files directly and they will be "tables" to access.

Go to tables and right click in the window. Select "Link Tables". In the "files of type" drop down list, you can select dbase III, dbase IV, or dbase V. Browse to the dbf file and click the "Link" button. This will now give you a table view of the actual dbase file. You can update, insert, delete, or write code against it.

That's just to get you started. I'm sure you need to do way more than that. Maybe you have to write code to import the dbf file and have the user point to the location of the file himself, etc... Access can accomodate that.
thank you, i didn't thought to build the app in access!

Back