image from link

a8le

Programming Experience
5-10
Hi all,

So, I have it to where people can upload images to my site from their hard drives (file system)... which is working.

Now, I am looking to make it possible for them upload from a web link...

If they do this... the images will mostly come from another site, so i would like to give the site its credit, something like a watermark like, "image from: http://www.vbdotneforums.com/images/thisSiteisCool.jpg" .

So, the code would have to first download the image to their hard drive... copy the link, watermark the link, the upload the image to my site... right?

Well, I think can do the everything except download the image from the site. Is this possible? I am using a standard html input/file/browse control to process the images...

Please suggest any ideas, thanx in advance, a8le.

The My namespace giadich eluded to is only available in Framework V2. Your profile says you are using V1.1 so you would have to use the WebClient class to download the file. (See the link for an example)
So, the code would have to first download the image to their hard drive...
You'll want to download the image to the server instead. Once the image is on the server, use GDI+ to add the watermark.
I am using a standard html input/file/browse control to process the images...
You'll only need a textbox to ask for the link to the image.

IANAL:
Be aware of the copyright issues involved. Not all website owners would want you to use their pictures, even if you give credit.

Thank you, for the replies. After some thought about the copyright issues mentioned by Paszt, I decided I shouldn't add my desired option to the site. I'll remember the mentioned classes. Again, thank you. -a8le

Back