How to network the application? (ready for deployment..

SpEnSeR

Programming Experience
3-5
Hi, any help please.. ive got a system ready for deployment.. but got some problem on how to network the system in two or more computers.. I used SQL management studio express as my backend..

And sumone just told me that i just have to build the project then copy the .exe file of my project in the debug folder and copy it to the other computer and it will work or connect directly to the server computer but it wont work.. in which the connection string is pointed to the server computer.. any help please???

First up, you don't use SQL Server Management Studio Express as your backend. You use SQL Server Express as your backend. Management Studio is an application for managing SQL Server. It's not the database itself.

Secondly, you wouldn't copy the EXE from the Debug folder because that's for debugging. You should use the Build menu to create a Release build, then copy the EXE from the Release folder.

When you deploy, you need to copy any other required output along with the EXE. If you have added an MDF data file directly to your project then you need that too. You will also need the config file, which is where the database connection string is stored. Once deployed, you can edit the connection string in the config file to change the connection properties. You can change the instance name and/or database name if you need to connect to a different instance and/or database. If you were using SQL Server Express on your own machine to develop then the instance name will be ".\SQLExpress". If the deployed app won't be connecting to a local instance of SQL Server Express then that at least will need to be changed.

thanks..but m8 where can i find the config file?

thanks for the quick reply mate. i already tried to rebuild and copy the .exe file along with the other required output.. but where can i find teh config file? Please do help.. thanks a lot. ill be waiting for your reply..

It's the one with the name that ends with "config". If you don't have a config file then you must not have done anything that requires one, like store a connection string. In that case, go to the Settings page of the project properties and add a setting of type Connection String. A config file will then be added and the connection string stored in it. Rebuild and it will be copied to your output folder along with your EXE

On the Setting page of my project, I already have these under Value column: Data Source=(local)\sqlexpress;Initial Catalog=InformationSystem;Integrated Security=True as Connection string type.. and when i rebuild it i saw a file n the release folder together with the .exe file of the project..but the type of the file is "XML configuration file" is that one mate?? sorry im a newbie ...

That would be the one. It sounds like you don't have file extensions displayed in Windows Explorer. If you're going to be a software developer then you really should have Windows configured for grown-ups. :)

:) Thanks a lot mate. Maybe ill just try this one tomorrow in office to test the networking of the said project.. or ill be back again here to have more questions.. Thanks a Lot mate!

Help

Mate jmcilhinney, it still doesnt work for me mate.. this what i do..

Before I Build the solution i set the connection String to MAIN\sqlexpress ......... in which "MAIN" is the computer name of the server computer..

1.) I build the solution.
2.) I copy the .exe file of the build solution and all required files. and put them in one folder.
3.) Then copy and paste the folder to the other network computer.
4.) Run the .exe file..
5.) Then i cant login.. in my login menu.. maybe its not connected to the database?

In which SQL server is running.. any help please?? THanks asap. I need this one to work asap.. Its ready for deployment but i cant get the network of the system work.. Please help me mate. Thanks a lot! :(

If you have got the correct connection string in the config file and you're using then it will work, so either you don;t have the correct connection string in the config file or you're not using the connection string that's in the config.

Mate i do set the connection string correct.. what do you mean im not using the connection string thats in the config? you mean do i need to code that connection string? By the way im using LINQ connection.. This is my first system using vb.net.. PLease help me..

Back