Question Hoping to create a 'button' in a textbox.

Marx_R

Programming Experience
Beginner
I'll try to be brief and yet clear about what I want to accomplish.

My aim is to have a textbox in which a page of information is already written for the user to read. This box will have a vertical scrollbar, so I can't simply superimpose a button over the textbox. What I would like is to be able to have certain words underlined and in a different text colour (similar to a hyperlink), which, when clicked, will throw up a pop-up box.

The purpose is to create a glossary such that if a new word is used in the textbox, I can allow the user to click on it, and a pop-up box will appear to say what it means.

I'm really at a loss as to how to do either thing (both editing certain portions of text in terms of colour etc, and also the button itself), so any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, since this is my first post I apologise if this is the wrong place, or if this question has been answered elsewhere (I did have a look). Please be gentle(!)

Thanks in advance,

Robert

Last edited:
So, I know it hasn't been too long since I posed this question, but nevertheless it has had 25(?) views, but no responses. Is this because those people who have looked don't know how to do what I want, or because they don't understand what I'd like to do?

for colours, underline, you want to use the RichTextBox control....
now, regarding the click actions... it's really a webpage what you just described, I can't think of anyway of doing it in vb.net forms besides using a lot of Label controls, so the best option I reckon is to put a WebBrowser control and program all this part in HTML.

Okay, so it looks like I'm going to have to learn how to do this in HTML. Should be fun.

Anyway, thanks to you both for telling me this. I'd best get started - time waits for no man.

Cheers,

Robert

Back