Help with shared LAN application.

qwazimoto

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi people

NOTE: Some of my questions may be a bit lame but I will not have access to a Lan to debug as often as I would like. also this application needs no networking capability, unless I need it to acheive this.

I am creating an application that needs to be stored and shared to specific users on a server running windows server 2003. Now from what I know user access can be sorted with permissions to the shared applications folder. I am just unsure of any issues surounding this scenario that I need to be aware of while writing this program. This program is unlikely to ever be used by more than 4-5 PC's at any one time (It probably wont exceede 2, but lets be safe), It will use an MS Access database and have several other files which need to be written to (.txt, .ser). Here are some questions.
  1. Is Access ok for this (its not a complex database)
  2. How many connections can this database have at once (safely)
  3. For writing files and writing to them on the server, is the My namespace's ".application.path" OK for this, giving that the user has write permisions
  4. Is there a name for this scenario that I am unaware of
I have never written an application for this scenario before so any good references to articles will be greatly appreciated as google didnt help (hence the "Is there a name for this scenario that I am unaware of")and any advice however trivial it may seem would also be appretiated.
Its better to know and not need than to need and not know.

Thanks in advance.

I've never liked shared mdb files.

Have you considered using SQL Express edition? It's free and robust.

For saving files to the application, I would personally keep people away from the application directory, create a seperate directory for that, which can be defined by its actual location rather than ./ and ../ etc.

Back