Question Fuzzy search on DIRECTORY OF TEXT FILES

alander

Programming Experience
5-10
Hi all.

I have this requirement potential client, however I think what she wants is technically not feasible.. I would need inputs from the ppl around here for a second opinion as I am still not very experienced.

Here is what she wants

She have a ~800 (and it will grow bigger) text files in (.pdf / txt / doc / rtf) formats

She wants a web application to SEARCH for a word in these huge amount of text files and display the results in the web application for her users to download the text file.

The text files I am talking about are RESUMES. This client is a recruitment company.

1. What I feel is, searching for a matching word in such an environment will definitely lag the server, which hinders performance.

2. The server load from these searches will be very high.

3. Timeout issues when multiple users were to search the same file at the same time.

While doing my research, I took a look at using MS Index Server, but I am totally new to it and also wondering if the web host would requre anything extra to use it other than IIS.

So people, is this a technically feasible project? Or an unreasonable demand from a client who have no idea about computing:confused::confused:

Hi, Thank you for your input

however

Configuring Microsoft Indexing Services
The first step in creating an index for your search application is to configure Indexing Services on the IIS server that your Web application will be running. To do this you need access to the Web server itself.

This website is not an intranet application, I require a webhost.

My question is does majority of the webhost (preferably Discountasp.net) be able to support this? :confused:

Back