Free Autocomplete combo box

rickyd

Programming Experience
10+
I am developing an autocomplete combo box.

If you want a copy of it - it's in VB.Net 2002 I can email the source and .dll to you. At the moment I am fine tuning it like adding simple error trapping. It works fine in testing.

kind regards,

Ricky

P.S my email is rickydalley@hotmail.com

Umm - a slight problem

It actually has a problem when it's bound to a field. At this stage the text portion of the combobox doesn't get updated when you navigate to another record.

I am investigating and will keep you posted.

kind regards,

Ricky

i wouldnt mind a copy of it when you're done working on it, when you post in a thread there's the "Attachments" section towards the bottom where you can upload zip files and such, post a zip file for people to download, or i could host it on my site either or works for me

Couldn't make it work properly - gone back to old way

I couldn't get the databindings to work so I have created a module with the code in it.

Instructions are in the module.

kind regards,

Ricky

Attachments

• AutoCompleteComboModule.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 178
thanx, i shall give it a try within the next couple of days, if all works well i might make it into a user control so it's easier for everyone else to use in their apps

If you get databinding to work in a user control let me know

Hi.

I tried to create a user control but got stuck trying to get the databindings right. It could find the DataSource and you had to manually enter the DisplayMember because it is typed as a string.

The databindings for a combo box allow you to tie the Text, SelectedItem, ValueItem & Tag as well as more via the Advanced selection.

What I needed to do was have the datasource automatically fill the list items and then bind the Text property to one of my fields. The problem I had was the Text property wasn't getting updated when I moved position in the dataset.

So I am using the module I attached and using a "normal" combo box to get the results I need.

If you manage to get the bindings working can you please let me know how you did it?

I tried exposing my usercontrol's combobox DataBindings property (which is read only by the way) and then test.

It didn't work when I had set the datasource and displaymember properties to populate the list portion.

kind regards,

Ricky

since i have no clue how to include databindings (i've only played with it for 2seconds so far) i'll probably remove them when it's an actual user control till i (or someone else) can learn how it all works to include it, i'll post the source code to the user control on here for other's to modify as needed

Back