Framework 2.0 Security Problems

dilbert0610

Programming Experience
Beginner
I currently Upgraded from VS2003 to VS2005. I have a few applications that run off of a network mapped drive. These programs also access files from the network. In the 1.1 framework I could use the .NET configuration wizard under the control panel to set the Intranet security level to Full Trust. With the .net framework install I Have for the client machines It does not place a wizard or any other .NET 2.0 options under the control panel.

I am hoping someone can help me here.

I think I found the answer to my own question.

For anyone else with this problem here is the solution.

The 2.0 framework distribution does not include the config utilities. You would need the SDK for that. In order to change the security level you need to use the caspol.exe program in the 2.0 framework folder. Here is a link that should help.

http://groups.google.com/group/micr...rk+2.0+security&rnum=5&hl=en#1920c69150d08803

Alternativly, and easier than CASPOL I would argue, once you have the SDK installed you can change these permissions through the GUI provided under ControlPanel>Administrative Tools

Open the .NET Framework 2.0 Configuration Manager, choose MyComptuer, then Runtime Security Policy and modifiy the appropriate group.

Either way, Dilbert is right, you have to have the 2.0 SDK first, framework install alone wont get you the requisite items.

actually.. there isnt any need for a 200Mb SDK - you merely need 2 files off a machine that has them - like any machine having VStudio.NET

find the following files:
mscorcfg.dll
mscorcfg.msc

copy them to the same place on the target machine

call the following from a dos prompt:

REGASM <path to dll>\mscorcfg.dll

that registers the assembly and you can use the configurator. Why MS made this so hard, i dont know. I suspect there is some easier way that makes the Configurator moot

Back