exporting a windows form to a text file

jnash

Programming Experience
Beginner
how can i export a windows form to a text file so it can be compiled by VBC, having no luck searching for it.

thanks

Jon

Its already exported to a text file so it can be compiled by VBC.. Form1.vb, Form1.Designer.vb (oh, and Form1.resx will help for visual design, but it isnt needed for compilation)..

it seems like a huge amount of work, bascially the forms are slides and once ive added to the forms that have been created then i want to compile them as standalones !

there must be an easier way than this!

ha ha powerpoint, if only, but thats what my project is supposed to be imitating - what i meant is that when i look in my bin folder i see the forms, now when i make a new slide i.e (dim frm1 as new form) isnt there a tempory form created in the folder somewhere which i can then use with vbc.
if not can anyone think of another way to compile a form that was made dynamically to use as a standalone
thanks

Jon

Create a new project, copy one of the form files to that project and compile. Then look for the exe in the bin folder.

But seriously, I can't see why in the world you would want to do this. It seems counter productive.

ha ha powerpoint, if only, but thats what my project is supposed to be imitating
PowerPiont slides isn't "standalone", they require the PP app (or Viewer) to be installed for the slides to be viewed. You can do this also, create an application that will display the slides specified in a data file, it can be any content and custom format you choose. To enable this app to process when user opens the "document" you must register the file extension, see http://www.vbdotnetforums.com/showthread.php?t=18537

It might even be easier to just make an app, with one picturebox, and it loads the pictures it finds in its own folder..

I cant see why this needs to be VB forms? Is there supposed to be some kind of dynamic programmability too?

i dont think im explaining myself, i spoke to my lecturer today and he said what is required to do is once you have added all your pictures and other media on a form (at runtime), you write the form to a textfile (like the static ones which have all the "windows generated text for the form") so i can rename that textfile to a .vb file and compile it using vbc so that form then turns into a standalone.

the forms are supposed to be slides, the title of the project is "multimedia authoring system, which you can produce slides that incorporate audio visual and sound etc...."

ugh.. you want to design a form, i.e. create a Paint program type thing, then decompile it at runtime so that it can be recompiled and shown..

Hmm.. did you ever think about serialization instead?

I have to write to a text file, i was looking through the static forms i have already and there seems to be so much text, is there a sort of guide on how vb compiles folders, with serialisation, could you give me a example releative to what im doing.

thank you in advance

Jon

its because thats what it takesa to create a form.. hundreds of lines of code positioning, sizingm and setting the text, font etc of every control. No wonder MS created a visual click tool to write all that boring code..

Back