Excel COM in VB .net to standalone application

thirumoorthy

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi!
I doing an excel chart application in vb .net (2003). I communicate with excel using COM. The source data is from SQL Server 2005. I have finisheed almost as needed. i need to make it as an application that is to be installed and it should work in a machine with excel. how can i make this COM reference should be detected and working in any machine on its own.

Let me brief! I want to create installer for my application. My COM reference should b working.

If you use late binding, the application will work on any client that has got Excel installed where the Object library (version) is compatible with your automation methods. No libraries or extra install steps needed.

If you use early binding, the client will only work if it got the same version Excel installed that you application was developed with. When you do this Interop wrappers are automatically created and added to setup. Benefit is strong typing.

Examples of both methods: "How To Use Visual Basic .NET for Binding for Office Automation Servers" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304661/

Moved to Deployment forum.

further info

Hi John
Thanks for u r reply. I'm going to run this application in the machine with the same version of office excel (i.e) 2003 only. I just need to make it work. thats it.

sorry i'm a lit new to vb .net. What is late binding and early binding can u tell me pls...

"In contrast to early binding, late binding waits until run time to bind property and method calls to their objects."

In your situation, just go for the Early Binding method described in the link provided. It's much easier to work with.

Back