Detecting Keyboard

kevjs

Programming Experience
1-3
Is there anyway, preferably within the .net compact framework - but not essential, that I can detect when a hardware keyboard is active?

At the moment I have a series of screens that display the SIP when text entry is required and remove it when it's a simple Yes/No choice - this works well on devices like the Orange SPV M600 without a hardware keyboard.

What I want to be able to do is

If hardwareKeyboardOpen is False Then InputPanel1.Enabled = True

so that the SIP is only displayed when
A. the device doesn't have a hardware keyboard
B. the hardware keyboard is closed (on devices like the T-Mobile MDA II and o2 XDA mini S).

The XDA seems to be able to detect when the keyboard is opened and closed (as it flicks between landscape and portrait modes and hides the SIP) and I was wondering if it was possible to capture this event, and if so how would I go around doing it.

I would also like to be able to check if Caps Lock is on so I can display a indication of this (like you get on Windows XP password boxes) so that the person using the device can tell they are in caps mode when only field on screen is a password one

I'm using VB 2005 to create a Windows Mobile 5, but C# code samples will be okay.

Back