Question Detect keystrokes from barcode scanner

frederick

Programming Experience
5-10
I have built many applications that work with a barcode reader. What I need now is a means to reading the scanned item through a background services such as a windows services or something.

My task is to scan a barcode on a identification label that is placed on a cut size of glass and record the order line item as being processed. This will update the database to reflect the cut size has been completed.

My restriction is the processes keeps an application showing a cut pattern of the stock sheet of glass in focus so I can not have another application active to capture the scanners results. Here in lies where I have to have a application running in the background listening for a text or alpha-numeric string that will tell the application to run the scan.

Is there an applications already made, a tutorial explaining how or post me some code to get me started in the right direction.
The scanners are wireless with a USB dock and the labels are Code39.

Thanks in advance.

I'm posting just to clarify to other that might have the answer

I worked with barcode scanners before and they simply mimic a generic keyboard.
Code39 is just alpha-numeric code plus a couple of symbols such as $ - + _

So, as far as I understood, due to frederick application constrains, he wants a keylogger because some other application keeps stealing the focus.

[happy coding]

That is correct. The application that displays the processing cut plans must stay active so the workers can reference the cut plans. I need a way to log the scan of the processed piece.

Please explain the keylogger some more.

Thanks

I really don't know how to do it. I just referenced it, for the clarity of the problem.
a keylogger usually is a malicious software that attempts to log what the user types, to try to steal credit card numbers, bank details, etc....
and because a barcode scanner acts just like a keyboard, it ends up been the same thing what you need.

the best/easy way really would be if you could some how make the software to be on focus.

good luck.

Back