Cut off text - urgent!

dreamtime

Programming Experience
1-3
Cut off text - urgent! [Resolved]

I upgraded to VS2005 and I am very impressed with the new environment. I was particularly pleased to be getting a new version of Crystal Reports (compared to VS2003) as I had a number of problems with printers...

...damn printers...

OK. I have a crystal report which I merge data into from a database. When I display the report in a Crystal Report Viewer, all seems to be fine. When I print the report, some of the text is 'cut off'. When I say cut off, what I mean is that the right hand side of a three line paragraph in a text box may print with characters half-missing. ie. half a 'h'. half a 'd'. etc. The text box is ample size to fit the text. Now here is the bizarre thing. Immediately you think borders, page size and printer settings. However, the text box is INSIDE a box/rectangle object. And the box prints fine after the cut off text. So the text is not near the edge of the page.

I have shifted the text box left to see if this has any effect. I have deleted the rectangle. Neither of these make a difference. The field is taking input from a database. I have tried to replace the database input with written text but still I get the cut off in exactly the same place.

The font is Arial and the problem is occuring so far on two very different printers. A Magicolour laser and a HP inkjet. The character cut off is identical implying a problem with the crystal report or the report viewer/print method. I tend to use the report viewer for printing as the printtoprinter method has problems of its own.

I did a search on Business Objects but I did not find anything relevant.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Resolution

I determined that the report had issues with printers and I remembered that I had designed the report with 'No printer' selected. My reasoning was that if I used this setting, it should work on most printers (the system will be used on a number of different printers and I have no idea what they may be).

So I changed this to a specific printer (I opted for a HP laserjet) and the resultant print was free from the character cut off.

Last edited:
Back