Crystal Reports headache

valiro

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi Guys,

I'm new to vb.net and I'm having a really big headache trying to run some Crystal reports from vb.net 2005.
I have several reports ( developed with Crystal Report 8.5).Each report takes 3 parameters in order to be run. So these are external reports and they are connecting to an Oracle database.
I've tried to use the Crystal Report viewer control but I'm having problems.
Also I'm not sure what is the difference between Crystal Report viewer and Report viewer and which one I should use.
I would really apreciate an example to understand the steps required to acomplish this.
(I already added the following references to my project:
CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine
CrystalDecisions.ReportSource
CrystalDecisions.Shared
CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Web
CrystalDecisions.Windows.Forms)

Thank you.

im not quite sure on this but the 'report viewer' would be targeted at Sql Server Reporting Services perhaps (?). in any case, just stick with crystalreports report viewer.

would you be able to better describe the problems you are having? i might be able to help if the clarification of the problem is a bit better.. :)

ie. is the report freezing, is it hanging, throwing out an error message, getting the wrong data etc

cheers
adam

I was not able to get too far...
I've tried to use this example as reference:
(something simple for beginning just to see if I can display the report)

Private Sub cmdReport_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles cmdReport.Click

CrystalReportViewer1.ReportSource = "C:\myreport.rpt"
CrystalReportViewer1.PrintReport()

End Sub

The error message is:ReportSource is not a member of Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ReportViewer
So I'm not sure if I need another reference to my project.From what I've read reportviewer is for web functionality so the control I'm using is the crystalreportviewer.Still looking for some answers...

I don't know if you've found your answer yet, but you aren't using the crystal reports object. CrystalReportViewer1 needs to be the crystaldecisions object.

Back