=> Could not start service on Local Computer

Rhonda Fischer

Programming Experience
1-3
Hello,

I am attempting to start a .Net Windows Service that I have created.
The error I am receiving is:

"Could not start the MgmtService service on Local Computer.
The service did not return an error. This could be an internal Windows error
or an internal service error."

I have been varying the setting for the Account property of the
ServiceProcessInstaller1 from LocalSystem to NetworkService, LocalService
to User. The only property with will compile correctly is the LocalSystem.
Although I wonder if this is too limiting for the stored proceedure I have
created that refers to two databases on the server.

Any suggestions would be most helpful.

Thank you kindly
Rhonda

Rhonda

Rhonda,

When you tried with the 'User' property, did you provide any account (user / password) within the code itself (it's in the 'designer generated code' region)?

My understanding is that the default behavior here is that it would still build alright and would prompt you if you leave that info blank, but you might try...... I think MS may have intended this behavior.

There are a lot of issues in the Service permissions area these days. If I understand correctly, this is a part of tightening up security on MS's part. So when your set to LocalSystem, then you only have limited permissions on the local system only (although I would think you could still execute SPs without issue), NetworkService only has permissions to impersonate (bad term, I know) the computer's presence and authority on the network. It would be worth a try to run the service as 'User' with valid credentials (or dummy account) for the network operations you want performed. After it builds (if it does) these would be sort of 'embedded' ...if you will.....

Just a thought (I am working through similar issues now, If I get a more definitive answer, I'll try and let you know!)

.....Daniel Pennington

Back