Copy a project in VS2005

Capt_Ron

Programming Experience
1-3
I have a project that I want to copy to a different folder on the same machine.
I want to have both projects. I'm at a point where I'm not sure which "Path" to take and want to try both.

How can I safely and completely copy a project? I want to change the names of the folders, project, solution, etc... without it crashing.

Thank you very much for your help.
Ron

close VS altogether then in Windows copy the solution folder, then open the *.sln file and rename the solution name so you wont get confused when seeing both solutions listed with the same name

Thank you.

I've tried that. Here's what my problem is:
I have a project called PROJECT1
The Path is: MyDocuments\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\PROJECT1
Inside is another folder called PROJECT1 and the SLN and SUO files
If I rename the project to PROJECT2 I can change EVERYTHING from the 1st PROJECT1 folder to everything inside the project (Solution, Project, Assemblies, etc...) EXCEPT that 2nd PROJECT1 folder. All my forms and files have a hardcoded path that includes that foldername.
If I manually change the SUO file in notepad it works. But to bring up the SUO file in notepad scares me!!! Most of it looks like garbage and I don't think it likes to be opened in notepad.

I was hoping for a "Save Project As..." from within VS2005.

Did that make sense?
Ron

Didn't make sense to me. The Solution (sln) is the boss. Copy the main solution folder elsewhere, then open the solution and make name changes from VS.

you should be changing the sln file... the SUO file is the Solution User Options file - holds what was opened last, etc....

-tg

Back