Connecting to a db housed on a server

ckeezer

Programming Experience
1-3
I have a very basic program that I need to bind to a db on my server. Problem is I get an error when I try to connect to the db from the app. I only have VS.net on my computer, and that is were the program was developed.

How do I connect to the db on the server, so that I can deploy the app to multiple users and they all connect to the same db?

Thanks,
Chuck

More Info

It is an Access db. I will have to wait until Monday to give you the exact error that I get. I know that it is a security warning of some type. More to come on Monday.

Here is the error

Keep in mind that the project is currently on the server, and the server does not have VS.NET only my computer.

When attempting to run the .exe from the bin folder:
The project location is not fully trusted by the .Net runtime. This is usually because it is either a network share or mapped to a network share and not on the local machine. If the output path is under the project location, your code will not execute as fully trusted and you may receive unexpected security exceptions.

When debugging:
An unhandled exception of type 'System.Security.SecurityException' occurred in WhiteBoard.exe

Now from this I can see that I can not simply copy the app to the share, I need to develope code that will link the project to the db that is on the share. My question is how do I do that?

Thanks,
Chuck

well in the best case you should change the Data Source value.
i.e.
VB.NET:
Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=\\192.168.0.2\Folder\database.mbd; Persist Security Info=False;
What OS has the machine which hosts the MSAccess file? If it's Server machine (Win2k or Win2k3) then you must set up permission and access .. :)

Regards ;)

Back