Compatibility of Oracle10g with VB.NET

manasi

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi all !

I have been working on VB.NET with Oracle9i. But in future would like to work with Oracle10g in VB.NET, but am not so aware of whether Oracle10g is compatible to VB.NET or not? Is there something where we have to set parameters for Oracle10g for the purpose of connectivity?

I would really appreciate if anyone can sort out my query. :)

Thanks,
Manasi

Please post questions in the most suitable forum, not the first one you come to. Moved.

You connect to all supported versions of Oracle using System.Data.OracleClient. As long as you have the correct connection string and the correct Oracle client software on your system then it will work.

If, dfor some bizarre reason, you find that the Microsoft OracleCLient namespace in VB.NET does not work, then you are free to install the ODP.NET - Oracle Data Provider for .NET that Oracle publishes. There are more ways than one to skin this cat, but i think youll find youre worrying unnecessarily! :)

I actually do advocate installing ODP, if only for the management tools it gives you in creating tables, queries etc. I dont personally use the .NET data provider, only the Oracle Explorer tool that comes with it (visible on the link in my sioganture "The DataSet Designer Surface")

Back