Code signing an application

pachjo

Programming Experience
10+
I have been looking into creating applications for my own PocketPC/Phone and no one else, just me lil ole me.

But from what I gather I have to pay to create a publisher account with some firms like verisign then when my app is ready I have to send it to them to sign it so it can be instlled on my one device?

I this the only way?

My programming software, my phone, only used by me and not designed for anyone else but I have to get a third party to allow me to do it?

Can't you use the default "Test certificate"?

Do you mean the SDK developer one?

This is all new to me. I created the hello world app on the MS site and then went thru to create a .cab file, loaded onto my device and tried to run it but it reports it is not allowed to run.

I then started reading further and all I can see at present is to do with Mobile2Market.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-gb/windowsmobile/bb250551.aspx

I have an unlocked HTC Touch, bought from the supplier not locked to a network and am on Virgin Pay as You Go.

I naively thought I could write silly only for me applications to put on my own device as I do when writing personal programs for my laptop?

I don't know what that means, but if you develop the application in Visual Studio there is a Signing tab in application properties that unless you supply some bought certificate will use the default test certificate, this is how it is done for any project assembly.

interesting I will try that tomorrow and let you know the outcome but I think they are different things as the reference guff refers to a different kind of certificate specific to mobile devices and phone security

Appears there is some difference with Mobile development in VS, there should be a Devices (instead of mentioned Signing tab). Check this article Windows Mobile 5.0 Application Security, esp the "Signing an Application During Day-to-Day Development" part. (didn't see a WM6 version so it's probably the same) I think you're supposed to select a SDK certificate in this configuration.

Yep, and this brings me to the same point ;)

It says that the SDK certificate i for testing only and points to the Market2Mobile guff = $$$$ £££££

:confused:

Did you read these two paragraphs:
Unprivileged
Signing your application with an unprivileged certificate is the recommended default choice. For day-to-day development, use SDKSampleUnprivDeveloper.pfx. Most applications can run fine without needing to call any trusted APIs. All devices that currently ship have the Mobile2Market unprivileged certificate, and this is likely to remain true. (If a device did not have the Mobile2Market certificate, the OEM or mobile operator would need to sign your application.)

Unsigned
The advantage of an unsigned application is that it is the easiest to produce. You do not need to contact any third-party signing authority. The disadvantage is that the application runs only on a device that has one of the security configurations shown in the Table 3.

Note that as of May 2005, all Smartphone that currently ship use a Prompt configuration.

No....but I have now!

I went the the link and clicked on

'Signing an Application During Day-to-Day Development'

and started to read and got to the bit about Mobile2Market.

I then clicked on the link

'Signing a Cabinet File During Day-to-Day Development'

and got to the same section on Mobile2Market

But scrolling down the main page without clicking on any of the links brought me to the sections you posted, thanks.

No excuse really other than this is the biggest problem I have when looking for help o the MSDN.

I search for a topic, find it and start to read and withing the text there are links whcih I click and get diverted then diverted and then diverted and eventually end up reading loads of stuff that confuses the hell out of me or does not answer the question.

The trick I suppose is to know when to keep reading the current page before clicking on links?

Thanks for you help with this.......sorry it took so long for the penny to drop

:eek:

Well I finally got round to trying this out.

I followed the guide in the SDK help and created the "hello World" app.

I at last got it to install on my device and create the start menu entry, happy happy joy joy (ren & stimpy fans ;-))

I signed the app with one of the certificates available to me thru the authentication page but I still got a message when installing about being from an unknown source.

However as the apps I will develop are for lil ole me I can live with that.

I am now having a rumage to see how to create controls etc as with a standard pc app.

I want to write a SQL Server compact db app which will connect to my laptop via bluetooth. Just for the pure educational fun of it :)

I have searched online for tutorials for the beginner up for windows mobile 6 but they seem to be as rare as hen's teeth!

Anybody know a good source?

Thanks chaps et chapettes

Back