Can't Even package ??

Jack P

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hello,

Folks, please apologize if this is not posted in the right Forum category. I am basically an EAI consultant and for my work I took an initiative to develop a windows based GUI whose functionaility would be to simply execute a couple of Oracle SELECT queries and display the results in the form. I took the help of my friend who is a VB.NET expert and he was kind enough to develop the complete code for me within a day (He isn't available now). The application did work fine and we tried to package into an MSI using the Deployment & Packaging Project option. Now when I installed the application on a different computer, it throws OraOps10.dll not found ! I also tried the Setup Wizard from the same Deployment & Packaging Project option but it results in the same error.

Please note the following:
-> We used .NET 1.1 and the backend database is Oracle 10g.
-> We downloaded the Oracle Data Access components for .NET from Oracle's website. The DLL file in the error message actually came with this installation.

When I am packaging the solution, I expected all the dependencies including this OraOps10.dll should have also been packaged. What could go wrong here? I don't think I can request my customer to install the Oracle Data Access components for .NET, in this case we don't even need a packaging feature. I would be grateful to you guys if this silly issue is fixed very soon. Thanks.

In your code are you using:
Oracle.DataAccess.Client (Oracle Data Provider for .NET (ODP.NET))
If so, then you would need to distrubute to ODP.NET
or
System.Data.OracleClient

Does your client have the Oracle 10g client installed on the pc you are deplying to?

I think only managed DLL's would be automatically added as dependencies, I don't know about unmanaged DLL's.

This worked. The Oracle Data Access components for .NET were downloaded from the oracle's website. They also had to be installed in order to work with the application. Thanks....

Back