Question Can this be simplified?

computer guy

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hello everyone,

I have written a piece of code to compare two DataTables and generate an SQL to update a MYSQL table to reflect the changes.

i.e. If there is a row in DataTable1 and not in DataTable2 it gets added to MYSQL Table.
But if there is a row in DataTable2 and not in DataTable1 it gets removed from MYSQL Table.

This code takes about 6 minutes to execute on a large DataTable and I was wondering if anyone can see an obvious way to improve on the code.

VB.NET:
Function compare_data()
Dim MYSQL_String As String = ""
        Dim song As Data.DataRow
        Dim i As Integer = 0
        SongCount = 0
        For Each song In SamData.Rows
            Dim result() As DataRow
            result = WebData.Select("title = '" + song.Item("title").ToString.Replace("'", "''") + "' AND album = '" + song.Item("album").ToString.Replace("'", "''") + "' AND artist = '" + song.Item("artist").ToString.Replace("'", "''") + "'")
            If result.Count = 0 Then
                If i = 0 Then
                    MYSQL_String += "INSERT INTO songs (`title`, `album`, `artist`, `dj_id`) VALUES (`" & song.Item("title") & "`,`" & song.Item("album") & "`,`" & song.Item("artist") & "`,`" & DJ_ID & "`)"
                Else
                    MYSQL_String &= ",(`" & song.Item("title") & "`,`" & song.Item("album") & "`,`" & song.Item("artist") & "`,`" & DJ_ID & "`)"
                End If
                i += 1
                SongCount += 1
            End If
        Next song
        Dim title As New ArrayList
        Dim album As New ArrayList
        Dim artist As New ArrayList
        i = 0
        MYSQL_String += ";"
        For Each song In WebData.Rows
            Dim result() As DataRow
            result = SamData.Select("title = '" + song.Item("title").ToString.Replace("'", "''") + "' AND album = '" + song.Item("album").ToString.Replace("'", "''") + "' AND artist = '" + song.Item("artist").ToString.Replace("'", "''") + "'")
            If result.Count = 0 Then
                title.add(song.Item("title"))
                album.add(song.Item("album"))
                artist.add(song.Item("artist"))
                i += 1
            End If
        Next song
        Dim titleString As String = ""
        Dim albumString As String = ""
        Dim artistString As String = ""
        For t As Integer = 0 To i - 1
            If t = 0 Then
                titleString += "`" + title(t) + "`"
                albumString += "`" + album(t) + "`"
                artistString += "`" + artist(t) + "`"
            Else
                titleString += ",`" + title(t) + "`"
                albumString += ",`" + album(t) + "`"
                artistString += ",`" + artist(t) + "`"
            End If
        Next
        If titleString.Length > 0 Then
            MYSQL_String &= "DELETE FROM songs WHERE `title` IN (" & titleString & ") AND `artist` IN (" & artistString & ") AND `album` IN (" & artistString & ") AND `dj_id` = " & DJ_ID & ";"
        End If
        Return MYSQL_String
End Function

Thank you in advance. :)

Have you ever looked into using a DataSet for database operations instead of building the queries manually in code?

As for simplifying things, you could have the database do this all for you, do a Delete on the one table where the records in the result set aren't in the first table. By that I mean you use a query similar to this:
VB.NET:
DELETE FROM Table2 WHERE NOT IN (SELECT * FROM Table1)
Or something similar to that. You can also do something similar with an insert too.

Hey JuggaloBrotha,

Thank you for your quick reply. Unfortunately DataTable1 is getting its data from a local MYSQL database, DataTable2 from an XML document and the final query is being executed on a remote MYSQL database.

So converting the entire thing into a MYSQL query just isn't possible.

[solved]

For those interested I solved my problem of speed by using the StringBuilder to build the SQL query and replaced the DataTable.select query with a "column Not In (' ', ' ')" query.

This meant that only one query was done and strings were not duplicated every time I wanted to append to them, as .NET does with the += and &= operations.

You could go one step further and have one string for the query(ies) by just parameterizing them.

Your query would be this:
VB.NET:
Dim SqlString As String = "INSERT INTO songs (`title`, `album`, `artist`, `dj_id`) VALUES (@Title, @Album, @Artist, @ID)"
Dim cmd As DbCommand(SqlString , Connection)

' Create parameters for the query.
    cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@Title", song.Item("title"))
    cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@Album", song.Item("album"))
    cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@Artist", song.Item("artist"))
    cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@ID", DJ_ID)
Though if you use a DataSet, you could probably set up the delete and insert type of queries that I posted previously because you can bring in the xml file's table(s) as one datasource and the actual DB's table(s) as another datasource then just do a query between the two, I don't know how much work it would be (or if it's 100% possible) but the execution time would be something like a split second if it works right.

Back