Basic VB.net DB questions.

Miro

Programming Experience
3-5
Hi,

I am trying to teach myself VB.net ( 2003 ) and the wolrd has changed in a hurry. It is nothing similar to what i am use to using databases. I do know about keys / index's ( basic now. I havnt done anything like this in years. )

I have a couple questions - probably basic and if somenoe can answer these, that would be greate.

My final goal is to be able to make an installable dummy program with a database / dataset ( multiple tables ) with some relations and stuff like that.

Here is my questions:

What is SQL server and do I need it? Or does vb.net come with some simple database manager.

How do you create a database in vb.net ( from scratch ) if you dont have microsoft access. Do i have to install something else with vb.net or is it already in there?

I have a couple books but all assume that you already have an mdb file.
I would like to create the whole thing threw scratch.

Is there anything else i should know ?

Thank you

Miro

What is SQL server and do I need it? Or does vb.net come with some simple database manager.
- SQL Server is Microsoft's enterprise database, competes directly with Oracle. Go to www.msdn.com to download the desktop version (MSDE) and the sample code to teach yourself

How do you create a database in vb.net ( from scratch ) if you dont have microsoft access. Do i have to install something else with vb.net or is it already in there?
- Do a search on this forum for the TechGnome. Look in his signature for ADO.NET tutorials...

I have a couple books but all assume that you already have an mdb file.
I would like to create the whole thing threw scratch.
- If you have Access XP or newer, you can do some really cool things with it. Access 2000 will work too. Yes you can created an .mdb file from scratch

Is there anything else i should know ?
- Yes there is plenty. Can't learn it over night. Practice and more practice will get it done.

Thank you,

Yes I have realized I am just going to write a program that will do everything I want to learn and start "Breathing Under Water" and hopefully
float one day.

Thank you again.

I was just getting overloaded with SQL stuff and regular database stuff. Was just wondering how people do get started out there reading x amount of books and then trying it.

Reading and Doing are two different things till you can get your head to start thinking differently.

I believe I am somewhat on the right track now.

Thanks again.

Back