Question Automate installation

hermiod

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi guys

I've been asked to write an application that we can deploy with the installer for upgrades of some of the software that we use.
The idea is that this application will do all the tasks during installation that a user would normally be required to do. ie. Agree to the license, click the next buttons etc, therefore completely automating the installation process and removing the need to have someone sitting in front of the computer waiting for the next button to press.

This is the current basic idea I have:
Have the automation program on a memory stick along with the installer(s) for the software upgrades.
You plug in the memory stick, the program is autorun and copies itself and the installer(s) on to the user's desktop, then safely remove the memory stick. The program then starts up the installer, does all the button clicking and agreeing while the technician just goes round, plugs in the USB stick to every computer and it repeats the above, allowing software upgrades to be done en masse with no technician input required.

I have absolutely no idea how I would go about doing the automation part. Could anyone post some ideas or links to resources that could help me do this.
I would Google it, but I'm not even sure what to Google for!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Back