Attachments in Crystal Reports

ypod

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi,

I want to attach a word document (preferably display it rather than make a link to it) at run time. I want to be able to insert a different one for different items in the crystal report.

Anyone know if this is possible and if so, how to do it?

Thanks

Ole object...

You can insert an OLE Object (Word, Excel, etc) anywhere on a Crystal report
and it will appear at run time.

Right click on a section and insert at desired location.

Further research is required if you want to pass the report a parameter containing the path of the report to be displayed, should be possible to pass a string to the report. Never tried it, let us know if you do.

yeah actually that was the part I was wondering about, how to pass the parameter to the OLE object. I am also using a dataset as the datasource for the crystal report so i am unsure how to incorporate this so that each row in teh dataset i.e. each record in the crystal report will show its own Word Doc

Rethink the report?

I'm having trouble visualizing a report where each detail has it's own word document. I can't get past the potential size and complexity of the report.
If the report could be broken down into a single report per detail band you could probably get the oleObject thing to work. The path to the ole object (Word document) would always be the same, the VB.net portion would write a different word document to that location - a generic name on a shared drive or on the local computer - based on the record selected. Does that make sence? Prompting the user to narrow down the report's scope might be a better way to go about this... Otherwise you may want to consider seperate reports for seperate documents, then it boils down to calling the correct report for the selected record.

Back