Question asp classic vs asp.net

Programming Experience
1-3
I am new to asp and asp.net as I have been a DBA for over 20 years. So pardon my ignorance as I appreciate your advice.

I have been asked to expand on an existing web app that is coded using asp classic asp and html. They are hoping I am able to rewrite it such that our team can support it.

As a SQL DBA I have installed Visual Studio (that comes w/SQL) on a server. When I bring the asp app and open a page on VS it gives me lots of page warnings and at times errors. It appears that this app is heavily outdated when it runs under asp.net...

Could you advice me the tools I need to use in order to rewrite the code? I thought about using vb.net but just wonder if asp.net and html is all I need.

Appreciate your help!!

Thank you for your answer, please allow me a follow-up question.

The server I am working from has SQL Server 2005 running which includes Visual Studio. Is this VS different from the one used to create .net projects? Should I download vs.net?

Thanks!

If you have the professional version of Visual Studio, you should have VB.NET, C# and Visual Web Developer (a.k.a. ASP.NET)

Do you have this installed on your machine?

you don't need VS for your present project

Dear brother,

As your present project is done on ASP3.0(Classic), you will see lots of warnings and error when you open that in VS. If you want to see those ASP scripts you can use either MS FrontPage or Adobe Dreamweaver.

Regards,
DNB

Classic ASP is outdated. If you are planning to extend the application and want it to be used in years to come, it you be better if you upgrade the application to .NET framework.

Back