Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.

shawne

Programming Experience
10+
I have an application which works fine on the machine i've been devloping it on. As soon as I move it to another machine I get:

"Application has generated an exception that could not be handled"

After setting up a few message boxes I narrowed down that it occurs when I do a form.showdialog ... I guess my question is, how do you trouble shoot this type of error? I've been banging on it since friday and can't figure it out.

it could be any number of things

do you have any data being loaded when that form loads? are you trying to access something that you don't have access to on the non-dev machine?

Ya, there's a lot of data being loaded which I forgot to mention. I got it resolved by "back tracking" my code and swapping out subs I modified with previous versions of them until I it worked again. I'm still not sure what happened except perhaps I did a little house cleaning and may have taken out a piece of critical code somewhere.

as far as access is concerned, the only major difference would be that VS is not loaded on the test machine. Basically it's an XP box with all updates. Thats about it.

Back