Anyone else see code in their sleep?

22-degrees

Programming Experience
1-3
Or should I be worried??

It's not the kind of dreams where I am 'me' sitting in front of a monitor.. It's the kind where I am the debugger tool running through code and more often than not, getting stuck in loops in code as I try to make small adjustments to try to exit the loop! Waking up can be quite a relief then but by that stage my thoughts kick into conscious gear and sometimes it's impossible to get back to sleep again.

It generally only happens when I am taking on new coding concepts or working hard to overhaul existing code. Lately however, every few days sees a new concept introduced to an already limited amount of functioning brain-space or an overhaul opportunity based on recent new concepts learned..

I've been told it's good practice to cease screen activity for at least an hour before bed but most of the time this is just not possible.. A poor short-term memory means new ideas need to be implemented or drafted asap before they are gone forever.

Wondering if others code their dreams or dream their code, or is it time for me to take up drinking before bed as a hobby? ;)

I do. But in my case I see myself drowning in a pool of classes, controls, forms, modules where I can usually survive. As long as the app is single tiered I feel a way out. I fear multitiered development I might not wake up from that kind of nightmare.

Sent from Saint Andrew Fields

I've had all kinds of dreams related to coding, usually trying to solve some logical problem, but also running exhaustive unit tests on some existing algorithm, and then sometimes just absurd coding exercises like going through common language constructs. It is rare that this happens though. As I recall in these dreams there is no concept of a computer or the IDE specifically, just the code and seeing 'runtime' results. I haven't experienced it as being trapped in a loop or the like, just as 'working' way past overtime.
or is it time for me to take up drinking before bed as a hobby?
That will guaranteed worsen the quality of your sleep, for starters.

I sometimes dream of "normal" dream stuff, but instead of talking in the dream everything is expressed in code... Not a specific language either, just weird complicated algos that make no sense, with people in them instead of variables...

Granted, I've been known to sometimes have elevated levels of THC in my blood before sleep... :)

That will guaranteed worsen the quality of your sleep, for starters.

Wouldn't have a clue, I'm not a drinker :) although quality of sleep after some code dreams feels pretty low anyway!

Well, gotta say, I'm a little relieved.. Thanks for the replies guys..

Back