Am I hitting the max limit of fields for an OleDBdataAdaptor

Discodave

Programming Experience
1-3
Ok, I hope you guys/girls can help me. I seem to be having a problem using an access DB and VB.net when I try to create the OleDBDataAdaptor using the wizard I get the following error on trying to generate the select statement.

'Generated Select Statement There were errors configuring the data adaptor'

It has only occurred since the customer has requested more fields (Columns), I have now got 100 fields and this is the point the error occurrs.

Is this error caused due to hitting a limit of max fields (column). Seems to be strange if I am hitting the 64k limit character limit.

What would be the best way around this as it would be a huge amount of work to split the table, just to add 10 more fields or so or would I have to generate the statements manually as already mentioned. Could cause problems as almost all of it databound in some form.

Thanks
David

Strange, never heard of someone hitting the max limit. Then again I haven't heard of a datatable with 100 fields.
What a potential nightmare you have if you or anyone has to update the code.
Some strategic pre-planning of the database would have probably pointed you to several linked tables instead of one huge table. That being said, If you are adding 10 fields and are worried about re-coding the statements and the databound controls, I think you will find you are doing about the same amount of updating whether you just add fields or you link a new table. Databound controls that do not use the new fields will not need updating, only the controls that want access to the new fields will need to be updated.

For future reference, it would be your duty to steer the customer away from a 100 field datatable. Sounds like he/she had no idea what they wanted and are adding things as they go. Not much fun for you!

Good Luck.

Back