ads

Lotok

Programming Experience
5-10
Hey,

I know you want to make a little cash out of this venture, but the ads are a little NSFW. I like helping folks out, used to do it on expert exchange but recently took a liking to here. But any chance of at least changing the ad types?

Hey,

I know you want to make a little cash out of this venture, but the ads are a little NSFW. I like helping folks out, used to do it on expert exchange but recently took a liking to here. But any chance of at least changing the ad types?

LOL - the ads are google ads and will reflect YOUR web travels!

Hey,

You should probably not be googling that kind of stuff at work (or on any computer used for anything work related) then.

Hehe well sorry there I guess I gave myself away... But really there's enough ads everywhere to warrant blocking most of them, especially in the workplace. It reduces overall bandwidth considerably and makes pages load a lot faster. I also use FlashBlock to block most flash content except a few site... And when there's an HTML5 blocker I'll probably use that selectively too.

This is a guy that saw the internet when it was nothing more than newsgroups, IRC, mailing lists, gopher, FTP and bare text webpages (I also blocked images selectively back then). It displayed beautifully and fast over a 9600 baud PPP connection in NCSA Mosaic. We had fonts! What more can you possibly want?!

Last edited:
Or use Firefox with AdBlock Plus... I don't see ANY advertisement...

Hehe well sorry there I guess I gave myself away... But really there's enough ads everywhere to warrant blocking most of them, especially in the workplace. It reduces overall bandwidth considerably and makes pages load a lot faster. I also use FlashBlock to block most flash content except a few site... And when there's an HTML5 blocker I'll probably use that selectively too.

This is a guy that saw the internet when it was nothing more than newsgroups, IRC, mailing lists, gopher, FTP and bare text webpages (I also blocked images selectively back then). It displayed beautifully and fast over a 9600 baud PPP connection in NCSA Mosaic. We had fonts! What more can you possibly want?!
I hope you at least realize how grateful Neal is being towards you for not banning you from openly announcing that you're using ad blocking software, those ads are the only thing funding this site.

Don't they fund the site only if I click on them, which I will never do anyways?

I'll gladly send in a Paypal donation of you like, just don't expect me to watch irrelevant ads all day...

Don't they fund the site only if I click on them, which I will never do anyways?

I'll gladly send in a Paypal donation of you like, just don't expect me to watch irrelevant ads all day...
Neal will have to step in for a further explanation if he deems it necessary, but in short he gets funding from companies like Google just for displaying adds on these forums that he owns/runs. I believe one of the requirements of this deal is that he agrees to enforce a policy that the users have to be at least seeing the ads, one of the directives of being a moderator on the forum is that we are instructed to ban the users we know are using ad-blocking software.
The reason Neal has these ads is to avoid charging the users a fee for using this site, we believe that knowledge sharing forums like this is something people should be charged for using, but at the same time there's a cost to having forums like these, the servers they run on have a fee, there's a cost to owning the domain, and the people who maintain all of this, so if neal doesn't have some way to cover those costs, this site simply would not exist.

So when I say "those ads are the only thing funding this site", I do mean those ads are the only thing bringing Neal enough $$ to cover the costs to to allow a forum like this to exist, and you should just be grateful that he's not banning you from the forum right now for openly saying that you block all of the ads here.

Without contributors the site is equally damned, you can't ban everyone for not wanting to see ads

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

Without contributors the site is equally damned, you can't ban everyone for not wanting to see ads

It two fold, yes there is no site to run without contributors; but without people seeing ads there would not be any site to be ran.

Do you have a solution to that catch-22? We are open to suggestions.

Hosting isn't that expensive, donations with an actual and target amount shown would probably generate enough.

If you want to run it as a business and not just cover costs, more discrete ads, a Premium charged service, sell compiled apps you made, make and sell tutorials. As long as cheap and assist with complex or confusing aspects of Dev they would sell.

Just a thought anyway, your community at the end of the day.

Last edited:
Hosting isn't that expensive, donations with an actual and target amount shown would probably generate enough.

If you want to run it as a business and not just cover costs, more discrete ads, a Premium charged service, sell compiled apps you made, make and sell tutorials. As long as cheap and assist with complex or confusing aspects of Dev they would sell.

Just a thought anyway, your community at the end of the day.

This site is not on shared hosting, this is a dedicated web server using a dedicated database MySQL server both running Windows Server 2008 R2 standard, backed up using Symantec Backup Exec to a multi-terrabyte storage array - the list goes on, it's not a cheap operation. We lease a rack in a dedicated Tier III+ data center in Ashburn, VA. But thanks anyways :)

Back