Access Vs. VB.Net

Patentinvent

Programming Experience
Beginner
If the same program was made in Access 2003 and in VB.Net 2003.
Which program would be larger in Size of Bytes?
And then once there zipped which one would be larger in size?

If I make my program in Access 2003, Which I'm more familiar with, Instead of vb.net will it make it to large for downloading from the internet.

Approximantly what's the largest size a program can be to down load succesfully?
I would imagine it would depend on the users internet connection speed?
DSl=?
Modem?

Thanks -- Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Size is irrelevant to the success or failure of a download. I've downloaded very large files successfully, and have had really small ones come out crapy. If the source is good, then the only limit to the download is the patience of the downloader.

As for size comparison, hard to say, you're comparing to somewhat dissimilar items. Will the access DB be included as part of the .NET app? How big is the data to begin with? There's a number of variables involved. Do you plan on using any third party components? or strictly the standard Windows controls?

-tg

Thanks tg for the reply,

When you say the source do you mean the web hosting provider where the program will be down loaded from or the actuall program itself?

I believe I will be using one or the other, access 2003 alone not a part of a .net app.

The access 97 program I have is about 13 Megabytes zips down to 2.85 Megabytes. Which will be approximantly the same size of the new program once I re-write it.

I'm hoping to use standard windows controls.

Thanks--Apperciate your time and suggestions.

source = both the file and the host it is downloaded from.

Now one advantage that the Access app will have over the .NET app, your users won't have to download and install the .NET framework.

-tg

Would the .net frame work that the user is required to download and install be free, or would they be required to purchase it?

What is the purpose of the .net frame work, is to allow the .net app to access the data that will be in the .mdb files tables, using the jet engine?

Thanks again -patentinv

It's free. And is available from Microsoft.

the .NET framework is needed for .NET apps to run. Period. Has nothing to do with data access (well id does, but that's because hte framework has everything in it.) No .NET app will work without it.

-tg

ps: It's also a 20M download.....but once you have it, you've got it...

Assuming that a user is not using a dial-up modem, size is not the issue but rather functionality. If you create an Access application then your user needs MS Access, unless you have a licence to distribute the runtime, and you are limited to the functionality of Access, which is admittedly pretty reasonable for a small-scale app. If you use VB.NET then you can add whatever functionality you want, and you have more freedom with designing the interface as well.

I will be using the access 2003 developer extensions, that will create a runtime version
of my program, then there will be no need for the user to hace MS Access. So I have been told.

I'm not aware of the license needed to distribute the run time db, could you please tell me more about this. Are you saying that it's not legal to sell my run time db app.

Thanks-- I appreciate your time and help.

The package of which you speak includes the licence to redistribute the Access runtime freely with your app, so no problem there. I just wasn't sure if you were just creating a straight Access project or using one of the fully-fledged developer editions for Access.

I would never do that, I know how much work and effort (let me rephrase that) I'm learning how much work and effort goes into creating software.
Even though if any one could afford a little ---- it would be microsoft.
We'll thats good news. All I need to do now is figure out how to make all this work.

Thanks--I appreciate you help, very much.

So I would have to rely upon and end user to be able to down load and install the .net frame work correct. Kinda scary!!
Its bad enough them having to install my program correctly.
Maybe Access is the way to go, since I'm more familiar with it.

Thanks--I appreciate your time and help.

I would expect that an Access developer edition could create a pretty good application for something small to medium scale, so it would almost certainly be more efficient for you to use it if you are already familiar with Access development. Having said that, if you intend to learn VB.NET, you have to bite the bullet sometime. There is a Visual Studio bootstrapper plug-in available from Microsoft that allows you to include the .NET Framework in your setup, so you don't have to rely on the user to install it. Not so great if you are distributing via the Web mind you, because users who already have the Framework don't want to dowmload it again as part of your app. In that situation, you can create your setup to check for the Framework and prompt to download it from Microsoft if it's not present, I believe. I've never tried that myself though, so I can't tell you more than that. I've always used the plug-in as I have always distributd on CD.

Back