WinXP SP 2 and SQL Server Connection

gripusa

Programming Experience
1-3

i have installed MSDE and SQL Server 2K client on my winXP Pro it was working fine but when i install SP2 , i m un able to connect to SQL Server from my IDE or code even tough i can run manager or other services of it.
when i gooogles i found that SP2 restricts the acccess to SQL Server due to its security problems. so i tried to open the ports but all in vain
i tried to remove XP2 but when i start run the uninstaller it raises some error and stop the uninstallation. so can any one help me how to connect to SQL server living in the boundary of SP2 and its firewall.

As I noticed that no one's answered you, I decided to add some comments in order to provide much info about your issue. The issue is that his SQL Server is MSDE edition and is affected by the Windows Firewall. It's ok but the issue is that he cannot turn off the firewall there. I thought maybe someone already managed to overcome this problem easily.

Cheers ;)

Last edited:
It seems like we found the causer ... MCafee firewall was on parallel to Windows one.

Ok for those who may have similar problem in the future.

It might display a green icon for that it is on, but that will most likely be a different firewall on so, check do you have another firewall turned on

To be sure that winfirewall is off go to a command prompt and type:

netsh firewall set opmode disable

If the firewall is on, that should turn it off.

Go in administrative tools then click services. If it's not disabled check that it is disabled.

Cheers ;)

Back