Windows 7 , Jet Oledb Run Problem

alim

Programming Experience
3-5
I have nerver used my application in windows vista or windows 7... It turns that WinXp SP 2 supports great but when i run it in windows 7 , it shows error like this .. but I can't install MDAC28 in windows 7 .. Because it is for windows 9x..

So what is the solution for this ..

20i9hrl.png

Isn't vista/7 contain JetOledb components?..

I have some other questions too... in windows vista/7 there are some restriction on folder viewing .. In few of application , I used to save some info in system32 folder .. now those applications are also working.. how can i solve this problem?

How we can save infos in windows 7 at system directory?

Very Interesting...

@JuggaloBrotha - thanks a lot for that fast and very useful reply. Do you know if you have anything in particular installed on your Windows 7 x64 that others may not have? I'm thinking Office, Access or an MDAC install... or did you use a Windows 7 upgrade that may preserve parts of Vista that another W7 install might lack?

Cheers

I did a fresh install of Win7 Ultimate x64 (formatted the HDD) and when I first tried running one of my apps I had VS 2008 Pro installed but not Office yet and I noticed that my app crashed cause of the Jet drivers, I then changed the project to target x86 only and since then it ran fine. Since that day I've installed Office 2003 & 2007, etc...

Thanks again, that confirms what I hoped - now to find out why this may not work on some peoples Win 7 x64. Sorry to keep asking questions - does your version of W7 x64 have XP mode? Would it run automatically in XP mode, if users do have it?

Cheers

Nope, my CPU doesn't support virtualization so I can't make use of VPC that's built into Win7 and since VPC's built into Win7 I can't install VPC 2007 either so my VM's (including XP mode, which is an integrated VM running on the inbuilt VPC) so I'm SOL on my VM's when I upgrade my desktop computer from XP to Win7.

VPC = Virtual PC btw

Nope, my CPU doesn't support virtualization so I can't make use of VPC that's built into Win7 and since VPC's built into Win7 I can't install VPC 2007 either so my VM's (including XP mode, which is an integrated VM running on the inbuilt VPC) so I'm SOL on my VM's when I upgrade my desktop computer from XP to Win7.

VPC = Virtual PC btw
I'm not sure what the situation is with Win7 off-the-shelf but I've been using Win7 (x64 Ultimate) from MSDN for the past three motnhs, which didn't have Windows Virtual PC included as it hadn't been finalised at that point. I originally installed VPC 2007, then removed that and installed WVPC RC, then turned that off in Programs & Features because it ran like a dog and reinstalled VPC 2007, then removed that again and installed WVPC RTM. I haven't tried but I'm guessing that I could just turn it off again and install VPC 2007 if I wanted, and I'm guessing you could do the same. WVPC still runs like a dog for me but, rather than go back to VPC 2007, I've installed VirtualBox from Sun. It supports, but doesn't require, hardware virtualisation, just like VPC 2007, it supports USB integration, just like WVPC, and it also support 64-bit guest OSes, unlike any version of VPC. It will also create a VM using your existing VHD files, although your guest OS will detect a hardware change and require reactivation.

I tried installing VPC 2007 w/ SP1 back in September (I think the 16th) cause I too have an MSDN subscription and have been running Win7 RTM for months before it's public release and VPC gave me a compatibility error before installing it. I checked the WVPC and for that to run it requires CPU virtulization which means I can't run it on my Dell Laptop or my Desktop comps (the only two 64Bit cpu comps I have) because my cpu's don't have virtulization support.

Though some Win7 patches have been released, I'll give these a try again sometime here, now that Win7's public I'm pretty sure there's others in my position out there.

How do u change the project to target x86?Can u please tell detail?
If you're using VS it's on the tool bar. If you're using VB Express then I think you have to go to the Compile page of the project properties; maybe the Advanced options.

If you're using VS it's on the tool bar. If you're using VB Express then I think you have to go to the Compile page of the project properties; maybe the Advanced options.
No, it's the same in Express, only the menu option is hidden. How to: Manage Build Configurations with Visual Basic Developer Settings Applied Actually this don't have any effect with my VB2008 Express, Configuration Manager always shows in menu, but this was how to enable it in VB 2005 Express.
Uh i am not 100% sure but if i remember well Express edition does not support this option.
Express has the same build configuration support as other VS versions.
How do u change the project to target x86?Can u please tell detail?
Using the Configuration Manager you have to change the 'Any CPU' Platform to 'x86', in Express you have to create this new platform first (selection list).

I can understand that we need to edit the connection string based on the condition if office 07 is installed or not, but is there a way to check for prerequisites for office 07 drivers if not then install the plug-in and edit the connection string automatically ?

As for connection string the question is not whether Office 2007 is installed or not, it is if your developing for the Jet 32bit driver or the Office driver. For former you need to set compile options when app is used in 64bit environment, for latter you need to make sure that driver is installed. Here is also an article that explains some more CSS SQL Server Engineers : How to get a x64 version of Jet?

Thanks for the clarification, I am trying to install the 2007 office system driver in a 64 bit environment, and automatically edit the connection string as specified in the documentation.

can you provide me articles on how to

1)set compile options when app is used in 64bit environment
2)make sure that driver is installed in code

It will be of great help; Again .. thanks for the help

Back