Window service will not start any more

szv584

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi!

I installed a window service a month a go and it was up and running for a month without any problems. Then the server was patched and restarted and after this it will not start. I have tried to uninstall and install it again but it doesn't help. On start the service just checks it's settings placed in a config-file (placed in the same directory as the service) and then it begins to check for incoming files in a directory.

The error I get is:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( .NET Runtime ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: .NET Runtime version 1.1.4322.573- provkorning.exe - Common Language Runtime Debugging Services: Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.

Patches that were installed: ms06-025, ms06-035 and ms06-036 (KB-articles KB911280; KB917159; KB914388)

I got the same error message during installation but it was then related to access rights on the directory that it was to check. I have checked the access rights and they seem the same, also I tried to let the service check for files on C:\ and in c:\temp but with no luck, it will not start.

The machine is a window 2003 server with framework 1.1. and the service is developed with vb.net 2003.

Any help on this is welcome.

Regards
Björn

Solution found

Hi!

I found the solution to my problem. By accident I had set the Filesystemwatcher to watch on another directory than the one I specified in my Config-file (retrieved during OnStart) and since EnableRaisingEvent also was set to True for the component, the program checked if the directory existed before I set EnableRaisingEvent to False in OnStart (though this was the first thing that happened in OnStart). The directory existed during installation of the service but was then deleted. Recreating it solved everything.

Regards
Björn

Back