Why is .NET so popular?

kevinnrobert

Programming Experience
Beginner
Why not code in Visual Basic or Delphi where at least you know that EVERYONE would be able to use your software without any frameworks.

Who has .NET framework nowadays? I would say less than half and of those who have it - most have the wrong version!

Whenever I download any of the software written in .Net, it's always buggy, slow and you can be sure that it will close with an unexpected error before you do something useful with it.

So why use it??

Why not code in Visual Basic or Delphi where at least you know that EVERYONE would be able to use your software without any frameworks.

Who has .NET framework nowadays? I would say less than half and of those who have it - most have the wrong version!

Whenever I download any of the software written in .Net, it's always buggy, slow and you can be sure that it will close with an unexpected error before you do something useful with it.

So why use it??
Hmm, I've had the opposite experience. .Net's everywhere and Since Vista and newer comes with it and anyone who has XP w/ Windows Updates turned on have .Net. I haven't had to stop and wonder if my clients have it or not, because if they don't have it then that means they're running something really old (like Win98) or they're running Mac or Linux, of which Mac & Linux couldn't run my non-vb.net apps either.

So basically, anyone who'd be running my apps, have what they need to do so and it's not a problem.

As for speed, my .Net apps only run slow if the whole system runs slow, meaning it's an old computer and it's the hardware not the software so much.

Guessing you mean Visual Basic version 6, which is outdated. Though VB6 runtime is included up to Windows 7 for legacy support. As with VB6 and older .Net also includes a runtime environment, and it includes a large class library, which classic VB didn't have. VB language has also evolved much from version 6 to current version 9, so has the VS IDEs. VB today is popular for the same reasons VB was popular 'back then', plus much more.
Who has .NET framework nowadays?
Windows Vista includes .Net 2.0 + 3.0, Windows 7 includes .Net 2.0 + 3.0 + 3.5. Updated systems, including Windows XP, has received .Net 2.0 and up.
I would say less than half and of those who have it - most have the wrong version!
How do you recon that? Anyways, a proper installer ensures correct frameworks is present or installed.
Why is .NET so popular?
Great IDEs (including several free editions), great class libraries, native OS support, multiple development platforms (Windows/Web), multi-language (mainly VB, C#, C++), great variety of project types available. All these features attract developers, which also result in large and growing resources available on the web.
I have never had that experience.

Come to think of it, the slow and buggy problem has come up for me once. The client was running Win98SE, which turned out to be the problem, their office upgraded the workstations to XP a couple months after and they had no problems since.

VB and Delphi have frameworks

Everyone who has ever tried to run a .net app, because the installer installs the relevant framework

Youve never used any of my software then

So why use it??
Because it's good

Downloading and installing the .NET Framework nowadays is akin to downloading and installing the VB runtime files in years gone by. Classic VB applications required the VB runtime files in order to run. If you didn't have them then you had to download and install them. As new versions of Windows were released the newest VB runtime files were included. The same goes for the .NET Framework today. The size is significantly higher but then so are internet speeds.

One reason I haven't seen mentioned for the popularity of .NET is "DLL Hell", and the fact that .NET is not subject to it. If you've ever had issues with COM DLLs you should be praising your favourite deity for .NET.

As per my view it is based on good and progressive conception and is well-made and it allows you as a developer to focus on solved problem without dealing with specifics of hardware or OS.

I would imagine that 'industry standard' company PC's will be running a new version of windows, I would think Linux/Mac business users are in the minority (in my opinion).
The point is, any windows user (who isn't 10 years out of date) should be able to run the software, worst case they have to download the latest framework?

Another way to look at it, is why would you NOT use it? Is there any 'fast' alternative that runs on all operating systems?

Use the right tool for the job I guess..

I love .net language, .NET is popular because it provides a well-built high level framework with several language flavor to increase in making it easily available to Java programmers, C++, Delphi, Pascal , It makes it easy to shift between the language flavors without having to learn a new framework a new syntax which can be handle with a easy orientation book.

.Net is a software that helps to run a Microsoft windows operating system for controlling developing applications. It also supports different programming languages including c, c++. The .NET Framework is a development and execution environment that allows you to learn programming languages and libraries to work together. For create Windows-based applications that are easier to build, manage and integrate with other networked systems.

Back