WHICH ONE IS BETTER ?? DATAGRID or HTML TABLE??

karthikshane

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi all,

I am designing a discussion forum, similar to our vbdotnet forum in look and feel(at least to be). To display the threads and topics which one would be better?? A datagrid or custom generated Html table??

Since i dont have too much experience in datagrid usage, i need some experts help. I feel html generation is better , since i ve used it.

Kindly post ur replies.

Shane.

Look, datagrid is nothing but HTML table with rows and columns based upon the datasource it was bound to. Every item of the datagrid collection is nothing but an HTML table row, when it is displayed in the browser.
One big advantage of the datagrid is that it is very simple to use and easily customizable with some cool color settings for borders,backgrounds etc. It also supports paging and sorting which also is accompanied by some customizable features for example, the way the page index can be displayed, as numbers or "previous and next" links etc. and if you have a source of data that needs to be displayed with no customization or no complex stuff, datagrid is the best choice.
Notice that beside its popularity i hate this control especially in windows programming :D but in the web programming it can be very above all useful as well as esthetic and very neat in some cases :)

HTH
Regards ;)

thanks kulrom

THanks for the enlightening reply. I too am against this datagrid to some extent. I have code for paging, and customised links , and sorting which a datagrid has. Just wanted to know whether it was any better than HTML and has any better advantages.

thanks.

Shane.

re:datagrid vs html table

i totally agree with kul.., in wiindows app. it takes a heck out of me to figure out how to control tha datagrid, but in web, its so smooth that you'll surely love it

Back