Question Which db?

iDsigns

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi there,

I'm currently developing a program for the company I'm working at.

Now the company is working with a crm system called Multivers from Unit 4. That crm is using sqlbase as DB.

Now I'm building a litle extra with some data out of the MV DB and I need some more data out a other litle DB.. I hear you guys thinking why not using the sqlbase. Well it's a packets we bought and we can't build extra tables in it before we pay some more and since that's out off the question i need to build a new DB but that's not the problem!

This is.. People are working with there own profiles (xp) now everyone is connected to a disk where all the programs are installed i want to planed the DB in that's disk so the information keeps synced all the time. The only problem i have is which sort of DB i can use without installing something on every computer or on that one disk.

If you ask me I just want to drop a file on the disk and get the data out of that's but can that be done with a SQLserver file without installing something besides frameworks btw..

All the machines are running 4.0

Hope someone can help me with this..

Thanks
Mike

The problem is that if you just use a data file then it's hard to manage multiple users accessing it concurrently. That's why a server-based database is best in a multi-user environment: everyone connects to the server and it handles all the multi-user stuff. Is installing SQL Server Express not an option, because that would be my first choice?

Back