Resolved Where do I start (3D image selection faulttracking program)

dbtryout

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hello everyone,

I'm new to VB.NET and come straight forward with 1 particular question.
I have created a program within excel, which allows users to select particular joinings on images, which are labeled by a button.
To explain a joiningtype this could be an for example an arcweld. Once a label is selected they get a confirmation screen with the logging time, the picturename they have selected, and info from the buttontag and text.
This is then after verification of the user being written to an external excel file.

Now i want to create this in VB.NET.

The only question is, Since all the images are snapshots from a 3D CAD file, is it possible to get the image in 3D (movable) with labels on the joinings AND have the possibility to select a label to verify and write the selection to an database?

Any help is appreciated. Been trying now for over 1month and can't seem to figure this out.

Regards.

Last edited:
I can't say for sure but I very much doubt that you'd be able to achieve that without either a lot of complex code of your own that would require a good understanding if the image format or else using a commercial third-party control. It might be possible in WPF but I'd be shocked if it was possible in WinForms.

I have been able to view the cad drawing in 3d PDF with the acrobat plugin pdf viewer. This gives the the possibility of adding 3D comments on the joining's as labels. Now just trying to figure out if i can protect the file so no-one after me can erase the labels. This is my temporary solution.
On top of that i am handling the file the way i did before with excel, but now with winforms. If of course someone would have the solution to the problem mentioned on top. Please step forward!
Thanks for the response jmcilhinney!

Back