VS2005 and VS2008 on same machine

stricknyn

Programming Experience
5-10
Hi all,

I have VS2005 and VS2008 on same machine at work. When I create a solution in either version then try to open that solution I get the following error:
the selected file is not a valid visual studio solution file

I did some google searches on this and found that it has somthing to do with opening their versions. Is there a way I can make VS2008 only make VS2008 solutions and VS2005 only make VS2005 solutions?

Thanks,

Strick

I have several versions of VB installed on my computer. Each version has been configured to save their projects in separate data folders on my hard drive. There's no way they can get mixed up.

Under Tools/Options/Projects and Solutions/General, you can specify the name of the folder to save your projects to.

I think he's got a corrupt install of one of the two (or both)

I have vb6, VS 2003, VS 2005 and VS 2008 all one one WinXP comp, no problems with the VS version selector picking the wrong version.

I was thinking that too. Because I once installed VS2003 and VS2005 on my home PC (although this is 2005 and 2008). Problem though is this is work PC and our helpdesk installs all software. Sometimes it seems like they don't know what their doing when it comes to installing/configuring developmental software (ie VS, SQL Server, etc.)

Just wanted to confirm that though because most google searches I've done suggest what seems to be workarounds. These usually invove opening the .sln file in notepad and modifying the version. That just doesn't sit well with me with having to do that everytime I create a solution.

I don't think the problem is related to VS writing wrong version in the solution file or outputting wrong file format or anything, it is rather the Version Selector app that is (or should be) associated with the .sln and .vbproj files that is causing trouble somehow.

I've had multiple VS versions installed earlier without problems with solutions and projects opening in correct app.

Back