VS.Net 2005 Service Pack 1 Beta Release

The official SP1 Update is out now. It takes FOREVER to install but makes quite a difference especially for ASP.NET applications.

Seriously, plan about an hour of just watching nothing happen for it to install but it will finally install.

Glad your's installed fast. Mine took forever and I read on some forums of many others having the same problem. I have a fast computer but this install was a while for me.

Ditto...

It took forever for me to install as well...it just seemingly hung there for the longest time. However, once it was finished, I haven't had any problems with it.

Disabling anti-virus software before installing SP1 can increase performance. The anti-virus software usually scans all files before they are read.
More tips for improving VS 2005 SP1 installation can be found at Heath Stewart's (from the MS VS setup team) Blog post: The Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 Installation Experience. Most important is disabling SAFER check and using the /quiet flag.

Agreed...

Yeah...I agree 100%...that was my bad for leaving the virus scanner on during the install.

I mean, if you can't trust Microsoft, who can you trust? :p

I don't use anti virus software of any sort. Same long time wait with install. However; I havn't had any problems with it since either. I appears to be less glitchy though when working with Web Forms but that could just be me. I found this on MS.com download page.

• Due to the setup requirements of large service packs such as Visual Studio® 2005 SP1, installation will take a significant amount of time. How much time depends upon your computer’s capabilities and the number of Visual Studio® 2005 products being updated.
  • When installing on Windows Vista™ with User Account Control (UAC) active, there can be a substantial delay before the initial setup dialog is displayed. During this time, a UAC function is verifying digital signatures within the installation package. This service pack carries a large number of files causing the process to take up to one hour in some cases.
Those bullets are related to the VS2005 SP1 download. It says it hangs for Vista. I installed .NET 3.0 and on my XP so maybe that had something to do with the long install. I don't know. Just a thought. Anyways, it installed fine and all is good.

SP1 does patch just about every feature of VS so it really should take some time. My install was quick and painless though, even on an old machine and even with both VS Express and VS Pro installed.

Back