Visual Studio 2010 professional and SQL/Crystal without MSDN subscription?

gptech

Programming Experience
1-3
Hello all, my first post here. I am thinking about purchasing Visual Studio 2010 Professional. There are 2 price points a $499 which Includes a no-obligation 12-month subscription to MSDN Essentials. Then there is a $1199 version which includes a 12-month subscription to MSDN

I was told by a microsoft chat sales rep that you have to buy the $1199 version to get a subscription to MSDN or you "can not" interface with databases like sql or integrate crystal reports into your applications. Is this true? Do you have to pay for a yearly subscription in order to develop applications that interface with SQL and Crystal reports?

I want to develop applications that publish Crystal reports to a web browser environment that publish data from a SQL database. I already own Crystal XI and also SQL server. I plan on using Visual Studio for many other web projects but this is primary immediate reason.

Can anyone help me understand the MSDN component in the 2 price points. I want to purchase but I can not afford the $1199 and have to renew a subscription every year to support the development environment. If I can do the above at the $499 price point and not have to maintain a subscription then its a done deal.

Thank you in advance for any advice :spiny:

msdn just gives you dev environment licences, wouldn't help you much with making your app live.

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

That sounds like rubbish... Although I do have a subscription to MSDN paid by my employer, you can develop any kind of application you like even in the Express editions of VS. As stated above, it's most likely just integration into the IDE you will be missing, which in itself is no big deal.

One thing though, a 12-months subscription to MSDN is VERY valuable. I would take it even if not obligated to. Think about Windows 8 being just around the corner, and MSDN giving you free access to the next VS betas and RCs, plus loads and loads of useful crap you might or might not find a use for. I think it's worth it for 500$ more if you are developing professionally.

I would agree but its just for personal use. The crystal side is for work but work has not approved the expense so I would use it for work some but be purchasing it for personal use. If I ever switch jobs then the licenses is mine :) There are a lot of little apps I'd like to make so I am cool with buying it. The extra $700 for MSDN is just to prohibitive for me.

It looks like for now the $499 packages come with MSDN essentials which gives access to all current platforms. I guess the difference is that full MSDN also gives access to all previous platforms as well.

Looks like the $499 package will work because I don't think I really need anything that would be related to a past platform. Since we already have SQL server and Crystal I wouldn't need MSDN for any testing purposes because we can use our existing licensing for testing. I guess the Microsoft rep just spooked me they made it sound like I would have to get MSDN or couldn't connect with databases.

Back