VISTA and Jet Access problems...

bonedoc

Programming Experience
Beginner
Ok, I have an app that has run on my XP computers for years. Not a single problem at all. Well, I just added a new computer to the network, and it is running 32 bit VISTA. The program accesses a database over a wireless network, so all computers share the same database through the network. Well...by the time I change a couple records from the VISTA machine, the database gets corrupted somehow. I then have to go in to access and compress and repair the database. This will then work on the other computers, until I go use the VISTA computer again. I can't figure it out for the life of me. Does anyone know:

1. Has something changed with VISTA and JET support?
2. Could there be a network issue with VISTA that is crashing the data?

...Any ideas? I just can't figure this one out...

i think maybe you should raise this issue on the msdn forums, as there are quite a few people there that would know that sort of stuff in depth. you could also check the blogs of the ms access and vista people.

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/default.aspx?siteid=1

your problem sounds horrible though... :confused:

good luck mate, and keep us posted.

adam

Vista (64bit OS) doesnt support Jet (32bit DB driver) unless you compile your app in x86 mode rather than x64.

Time to upgrade to a better RDBMS i think..

didnt he say he was running 32bit vista? in any case, i dont think it should corrupt the entire database. wouldnt it just spit out an error?

im not sure, just my 2c

regards
adam

I still think it's time to upgrade the RDBMS, but I am curious; what is so desperately good about vista (or asked another way, what is so broken about XP?) that it must be upgraded to, and does it outweigh the problems it causes?

Back