VB v java v C#

frenchie_nic

Programming Experience
Beginner
I am not sure if there is any existing thread for this subject, but for a beginner’s eye could someone clarify for me the difference between VB, Java and C#. Are they all different language to achieve exactly the same result in different ways or are each got more of a "special purpose"? So in short, why would I use one over the others and when?

Nic

all three are different languages, vb.net and c# both run on the .net framework, i personally think vb handles databases better than c#, but that's just me

vb and c# are both made by microsoft whereas java is made by sun and i dont know a thing about java but each language does have their benefits and drawbacks

Genuine, compilable programming languages don't have a specific purpose other than to create programs. Each different language will have its strengths and weaknesses, which can make one easier to use in a particular scenario, but does not preculde others from being used. As has been said, VB.NET and C# were created by Microsoft to run on the .NET Framework, which is only officially supported on Windows. That doesn't mean that they cannot be used elsewhere, but it's up to others to provide the compilers and framework. Java was created by Sun to be a cross-platform language that was easy enough for everyone to use. It pretty much succeeds in this aim. It requires a Java Virtual Machine installed to be able to run on a system, but there is a JVM available for virtually every imaginable platform.

Regarding VB.Net and C#, I found this article by MS "Differences Between Visual Basic .NET and Visual C# .NET" http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308470 where the bottom line is that ".NET Framework is intended to be language independent". They also mention that Java and C(#) has more in common in styles than VB.Net.

Back