VB.Net Vs ASP.Net Comparision

SANCHIT SHARMA

Programming Experience
10+
Hi,

Need help. I am trying to find out comparative study between VB.Net Vs ASP.Net development environment. I was confused about where to post this question.... ultimately i posted in VB Forms.

We have developed a commercial application of Vb.net with SQL Backend. There is a exhaustive use of grids.IF the same has to be developed in ASP.net... What will be the pitfalls...

Is thier any place to find out direct comparisoin between these .Net technologies..

Pls help

Regards

I'm not really sure what you want to compare. VB.Net is a language and ASP.Net is the technology. You can pass instructions to that technology with VB.Net or any other .Net language. What is it that you are trying to compare?

Thaks VIS for fast response. I want +ve and -ve auspects of both the tech. I am working on Application, and is developed in VB.Net 2005 and Backend is SQl. Entire Applcation is on VB Forms. If the same we try to develop on ASP.Net

Which will be better option....

Again It is an Interanet application. Vill be using VPN Connectivity. Security is a main issue here.

Technology, security and the load that ASP can dear as comparision to VB.Net Forms

I need this comparision only.. and from where to get it.. pls suggest

Regards

Er.. You cant really compare them.. VB.NET is a language, ASP.NET is a content delivery system.. Its like asking "which is better, the English language, or Television..?"

You can speak english on the phone, or on the television.. You dont have to speak english on either..

Maybe youre asking for the +ve and -ve of a Web Application compared to a Desktop Application?

Thanks Cjard

Thanks a lot for giving right words to my question. I was concentration on Microsoft technology and thats why so much centric towords VB.Net and ASP.Net

You said ver well... Now the question is On Microsoft Technology , what solution will be more effective ..... the +ve and -ve of a Web Application compared to a Desktop Application..

My client is having Multiple Branches... Connected through VPN and Marketing professionals keep on moving all over the world.

We suggested Intranet Desktop Application.... Application will be loaded on thier laptops. Only they need connectivity means to Server.

Thier question is that they thould be ble to log the information from Public Cafes.

Here i am totally confused.. I know +ve and -ve of VB.Net Application. But WEB no idea...

PLS Suggest

Web Applications (not to be confused with web services) run in a browser. A scripting engine sends HTML to a browser in order to render a user interface. User choices are sent back to the engine and a new interface is sent out

Clasically, disadvantages of such an approach were limited functionality on the client - you couldnt really do much with scripting, so client side validation was poor. It was less interactive because all the time the server would have to do the thinking in batch. Now that we have technologies like AJAX and better client side scripting, those problems are diminishing. In their favour web apps are centrally controlled, do not need to be rolled out, more secure, cannot be as easily stolen, and can be lower bandwidth than a desktop app running over vpn.

If i had a highly mobile workforce who wanted the flexibility of using net cafes rather than having to take a laptop, then i'd choose a web app.

A web service sits some way down from that, as a web app but used by a desktop application.. it isnt a full app in its own right, just a data provider and manipulator, used by your app. Inter process communication between client and server

desktop app by comparison is rather old and not really designed for a mobile workforce.. its more intended for having all the users within a controllable zone like an intranet. On the plus side, you can do pretty much anything in code on the client, but it needs installing and keeping up to date. Web publishing helps keep the app up to date. Maybe your solution lies in an interim:

Pure web app + browser: no install, instant bugfixes, secure, mobile, net cafe, simple scripted front end (which is good and bad)

Web service + desktop app: install of app, instant bugfixes of service, quite secure, less mobile, needs hardware (for install), very functional complicated interface (coded)

Web published desktop app (+ vpn): app needs installing, near instant bugfixes of app, less secure, less mobile, needs hardware

Pure desktop app (+ vpn): install only, slow bugfixes, less secure, less mobile, hardware needed, complicated highly functional coded interface possible

Decide what you want..

...However, using a Public internet Cafe to access your work server?? Hmm I'm not the most security consceous IT guy out there, but even I wouldn't want any of our sales reps trying to access my app from an "unknown" source!!

If you require that, you will need some heavy security policies and certificates in place. What's to stop a virus getting from the public PC to your server? What's to stop someone else hacking into your server and a) stealing sales info or b) manipulating the data and making "fake" changes....

that's all beside the point mind, :) but Cjard has hit the spot with all that in one post!

...However, using a Public internet Cafe to access your work server?? Hmm I'm not the most security consceous IT guy out there, but even I wouldn't want any of our sales reps trying to access my app from an "unknown" source!!

I dont reckon its any worse than giving them a laptop; one of our company laptops was stolen recently and I recall a news story about an Mi5 (british intelligence service) being stolen.. Theft of top secret stuff is very easy to do when it comes to nicking laptops.

What's to stop a virus getting from the public PC to your server?
Patches.

Plus, servers are generally attacked by different viruses than clients.. If anything, a web app is better than a client prog for this.. Laptop on VPN? Server on firewalled net link? Definitely more likely a virus will ravage your network from the laptop!

What's to stop someone else hacking into your server
Multi-tier security and good design. Its a lot easier to secure a server than it is to secure a laptop.

and a) stealing sales info
Security policies

or b) manipulating the data and making "fake" changes....
audit trails

;)

Valid points, all of them.. and important to address! Modelling the banks, is a good thing. Some banks use web, some use direct-dial in etc

Back