VB.NET, MS Access and exclusive open connection.

larry78rm

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi,

I've a windows application with VB.Net. I made a little application that connect on a ms access database and do some stuff.
The application works well in my PC and in other remote PC, but If I made a concurrent open to the database, I got an error.
I see that in mdb directory I got a ldb file when someone open a connection. How can I remove the exclusive connection to the database ?

Thank you !

All the permission for file and directory are rigth.

You can control various things through the connection string, but keep in mind that the database does need to protect the data from being updated from more than one client at a time. Are you keeping the connection open constantly? If so, this is probably a bad idea in a multi-client environment, if not all environments. It is generally best to only open your connection when it is being used. Of course, if you are making several calls to Fill or Update together, you would not close the connection between them. If you want to see what the connection string can do for you, you can edit a connection to find out. You can do this in the IDE if you want but an easy way is just to create a new text file in Windows Explorer and change its extension to ".udl". If you then try to edit that file, the Data Link Properties dialogue will open. On the advanced tab you'll find "Access permissions". Press the help button for details. I think you'll find that the default is pretty liberal though.

Back