vb.net books

mech55

Programming Experience
1-3
I've just finished Sam's learn Vb.net 2003 in 21 days and it was agreat beginner book. I'm now looking to get a good intermediatebook that expands on OOP and goes more into stuff likemultithreading. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good bookthat's out there? Thanks in advance.

Advanced Programming Using Visual Basic .Net by Julia Case Bradley and Anita C. Millspaugh. This book is excellent for Intermediate/Advanced users and covers some of the following topics:
-Multithreading
-Multi-tier development
-Wireless Application Programming
-Creating user controls
-And much more...

This book is very well-organized (easy on the eye) and very clearly demonstrates how to accomplish what you set out to do. I very seldom (if ever) had to read something twice to understand what the authors meant, unlike many other books I have read in the past.

I definately recommend that you try it out.

Mneb, the reading of book that you proposed above is nothing but wasting of time.

Wrox Press Professional VB.Net is really, really bad book ... i've never read anything worse before. (I have it in paper in front of me) but i cursed the idiot who wrote it all the time i was reading the book.

Cheers ;)

so what do you suggest Kulrom ?

from my point of view only one book is not enough , also you have to do much more practice or you will not make use of any book you read

i shall wait your answer Kulrom

Halaaaa. Tarik ...
Shlonak .....

Only English please ... otherwise i'll be forced to delete ... !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
then you should wait forever ... JK :p

Well, i started to learn from these 5 books (now i have collection of 30 books and above / for .NET of course). But now we are interested about vb.net only.

From left to the right:
1. Designing Enterprise Applications with M$ VS.NET / Publishing by M$ Press
2. Mastering Visual Basic .NET / Publishing by Sybex
3. Professional VB.NET 2nd edition /Publishing by Wrox

Books.jpg

The 3rd one by WROX is as i said worst book i ever read berore (i've read many before trust me / mostly about C/C++).
But the biggest point is that you cannot learn from books only. They are (in my opinion) targeted for very first start of learning certain subject like OOP, DB ...
Later if you don't research through net (using share what you know and learn what you don't approach / forums are best for that) and if you don't work permanently in practice ... the theory from the books will be useless.

For instance, i've never read a book that explains how to make an invoice. Have you?

Cheers ;)

Dear Kulrom ...
why you buy the ( print version ) of these books while they are available online for read ...
and sometimes for free ....
I'm not crazy to buy and stack them in my room ....
( thinking myself as a genius , no offense ... ! )

That's ok ... i'm not offended at all. Just don't post in other language in the future please.
Oh, about the books. I think it is a matter of taste ... if you found that you learn better from eBooks then go for it ... i'm reading those books too but i want to have something in B&W too. Especially before go to bet or durring my long stay in the bath ... ;)
Btw, i think that paper books (there isn't translated eBooks) are essential for the people whose English is not native language (like myself) as they harder go through terminology but if they know the meaning of certain termin it's easier to memorize it.

Cheers ;)

I've treid to use translated books ( to Arabic ) ....
they were terrible ....
I sweared not to buy any more ....
and I insist if anyone want to learn something about programming languages , must learn it in its original language ( the english , the world language ), or not learn anything ....

CEMO said:
( the english , the world language ), or not learn anything ....

Back