Question using Notepad

binold

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi,

Please excuse me but i really need to ask you guys, We are doing VB.Net programs using Notepad but the problem is whenever we compile it this way we are getting an error.

MessageBox.Show("Hello
World")

But when you do it on one line it works fine:

MessageBox.Show("Hello World")

it seems that VB.Net unable to detect white spaces using notepad unlike Java it works fine. How do I address this issue? We do not want to create some statements in one line? Tried using the "&" did not work. If you guys unable to understand the question, please inform me. Thanks in advance to those who will answer.

Hi there thanks for the reply. Unfortunately... Yes I am still getting an error... It says:

D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Hello.vb(8) : error BC30035: Syn
tax error.

"World")
Got it! Thank you very much! I did not notice the space between the ampersand and underscore, this will help us a lot me and my students thank you. We needed to use notepad because we are unable to download the VB.Net express bec for some ISP restrictions in our school. I did not notice the space between the ampersand and underscore. What's with the underscore? is this new to VB.Net?

I couldn't say if its new or not, I didn't start programming until .NET 2003 and haven't really touched VB6 or anything before that. I'm glad that was able to work for you!

<SNIP>
We needed to use notepad because we are unable to download the VB.Net express bec for some ISP restrictions in our school.<SNIP>

Can you use a thumb drive to install it? You can download, on some other network machine, the entire installation package and put it on a thumb drive, then install it on each of the machines.
Another option would be to use SharpDevelop: SharpDevelop @ic#code
Yes, it's for VB.Net, too.

Back